[pianotech] Hammer stapling

lim hock seng limhseng at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 06:48:56 MDT 2012

Hi Ron, thanks for your 'contribution' {G}. What I meant is I just want to
share the photos of the wired hammers. And you were right, these are SnS
'M' hammers. I thought they were wired DIY!
Thanks. Lim

On 12-Apr-2012 8:39 PM, "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

On 4/12/2012 2:14 AM, lim hock seng wrote:

> Hi,
> These may be posted before but I just want to c...
Contribute what? <G>

Actually, those aren't staples. The hammers are drilled through and wired,
which is a lot more labor than shooting in a couple of staples, but it's a
more positive fastener as well. With modern glues, I'm told, staples or
wires should be unnecessary, but I like the overkill redundancy of wired
hammers. Not enough to spend the time retrofitting new, you understand, but
the "get it secure once and for all" approach appeals to me.

This is also a good shot of the magic mystery goop Steinway used (still
uses?) to hang hammers. It's reported to be hot hide glue, which is what it
acts like, but hide glue isn't that color and texture. This stuff is mixed
with a filler/colorant of some sort to make the application less visibly
obvious, but I have yet to discover what is used.

Ron N