[pianotech] Hammer stapling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Apr 12 06:38:21 MDT 2012

On 4/12/2012 2:14 AM, lim hock seng wrote:
> Hi,
> These may be posted before but I just want to contribute.

Contribute what? <G>

Actually, those aren't staples. The hammers are drilled through and
wired, which is a lot more labor than shooting in a couple of staples,
but it's a more positive fastener as well. With modern glues, I'm told,
staples or wires should be unnecessary, but I like the overkill
redundancy of wired hammers. Not enough to spend the time retrofitting
new, you understand, but the "get it secure once and for all" approach
appeals to me.

This is also a good shot of the magic mystery goop Steinway used (still
uses?) to hang hammers. It's reported to be hot hide glue, which is what
it acts like, but hide glue isn't that color and texture. This stuff is
mixed with a filler/colorant of some sort to make the application less
visibly obvious, but I have yet to discover what is used.

Ron N