[pianotech] 1st time -SnS brass flange

lim hock seng limhseng at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:50:36 MDT 2012

Thank you all for the information. Will prepare for the unexpected :).
Oh another question-why would SnS use these Billings flanges?
Lim

On 06-Apr-2012 11:37 PM, "David Skolnik" <davidskolnik at optonline.net> wrote:

 Lim -
In my limited experience with these flanges, I actually found them somewhat
tech-friendly.  For example, I like not having to completely remove the
flange screw when removing the hammer assembly.  I like that I can space
the hammers by *slightly* loosening screw and, using a screwdriver blade,
prying the flange in the desired direction.  Ron is obviously correct that
swing-count is not a suitable unit of measurement to assess the pinning
friction.  Since you're dealing with some limited amount of sluggishness,
why not try a few applications of naptha, along with 'working' the flange,
maybe some heat, and maybe some Protek?    I'm not sure how difficult
repinning would be, if you did have to do so, but flanges would probably
not be as tolerant of larger size pins as wood flanges.  Schaff lists them
in their catalog (Maroon cover, Pg. 128, Part #512.)  Don says they're not
left over APSCO and that they're good, so take that for what it's worth.

If repinning, main concern is to not have any side to side slop.  I'm
guessing that, if you around 4 swings (holding assembly upside down using
un-cut centerpin in pin-vise), you should be pretty good.

Luck -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY