[pianotech] 1st time -SnS brass flange

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Apr 6 09:43:52 MDT 2012

Lim -
In my limited experience with these flanges, I actually found them
somewhat tech-friendly.  For example, I like not having to completely
remove the flange screw when removing the hammer assembly.  I like
that I can space the hammers by slightly loosening screw and, using a
screwdriver blade, prying the flange in the desired direction.  Ron
is obviously correct that swing-count is not a suitable unit of
measurement to assess the pinning friction.  Since you're dealing
with some limited amount of sluggishness, why not try a few
applications of naptha, along with 'working' the flange, maybe some
heat, and maybe some Protek?    I'm not sure how difficult repinning
would be, if you did have to do so, but flanges would probably not be
as tolerant of larger size pins as wood flanges.  Schaff lists them
in their catalog (Maroon cover, Pg. 128, Part #512.)  Don says
they're not left over APSCO and that they're good, so take that for
what it's worth.

If repinning, main concern is to not have any side to side slop.  I'm
guessing that, if you around 4 swings (holding assembly upside down
using un-cut centerpin in pin-vise), you should be pretty good.

Luck -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY