[pianotech] good news/bad news in Hawaii

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 19:39:53 MDT 2012

In case some of you want to move to Hawaii, the Honolulu Magazine just came out with a report of what's good and bad about living in Hawaii

On the plus side, the weather is almost always beautiful. It never gets above 90 degrees, and at night, if it drops below 70, it's headline news. It's the 3rd cleanest city in America. Unemployment is at 5%. It's also the 3rd safest city and the supposedly we are the happiest people in America. You can pick mangos from the trees in your yard, the scent of orchids is everywhere, and there are birds galore, signing their happy songs.

On the down side, the median price of a home is $600,000, and rent for a 3 bedroom home or apartment is in the $2000 - $2500 range.  (It's not unusual for three generation to live in the same household, and that's not because of Asian traditions, it's because young families can't afford to buy or rent their own home). Gas is now $4.37, and going up a few cents every week, milk is $5 a gallon and we pay the highest electric bill in the country. (mine averages $175 per month, and that's without air conditioning, or heat). The main traffic corridor, the H1, is like a parking lot during rush hour, our streets and roads are compared to third world roads. The sewer and water system needs repairs, and the local dump has run out of room.

To pay for all this you would think that my tuning prices are comparable to the cost of living. Not so. My rates, and those of my competitors, are lower than most of you on the mainland, ($95 for a basic tuning).

It's a great place a visit, but I wouldn't suggest you live here. So come any time, and spend your money, so I can get paid for tuning pianos.

Wim