[pianotech] Uses for Vinyl contact paper

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 5 10:43:39 MDT 2012

I have been using a product for a little while that I find useful in several
contexts.  The product is Duck Peel and Stick Vinyl covering.  It's a vinyl
contact paper that can be gotten from Lowe's for about $1.60 for a 10' by 1'
roll, so it's cheap.

I originally got it to try out when doing a bridge layout.  It is white, and
has no pattern.  You can write on it with a pencil or a pen.  Cut it roughly
to the shape of the bridge, peel off the backing, and press onto the top of
the bridge.  Then take a single edge razor and cut the waste off at the
edge.

When I bought it from Lowe's, I was counting on Lowe's very low to
non-existent quality standards.  Which is to say I wanted something that
will lay down and adhere, but only so well.  This stuff works well in that
regard.  It holds adequately for the layout you need to do, but will peel
off quite easily when you are done.  The white surface makes your markings
quite visible.  If you don't like what you have done, you can peel it off
and start over.

I also cut it into thin strips and pressed it onto the plate behind the
aggraffes and aliquots, then marked the note numbers.  This is very useful
when taking measurements for string rescaling, as well as the bridge layout.
Easier to keep your place.  Peel off when done.  Likewise, lay it out for
chipping.

Another use:  When stringing, I rough cut pieces to shape and press them
onto the plate in high traffic areas, where a stray end of piano wire might
scratch the plate.  When done, it peels right off without taking any paint
with it.

If you leave it on a long time, it will be harder to get off.  For short
term uses, it is ideal.

I think others could find other places to use it as well.

For what it is worth.

Will Truitt