[pianotech] snapping pins

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 08:51:51 MDT 2012

My experience concurs, so the question is why are the pins snapping and what
can you do about it.  One possible explanation goes like this.  When the
original pins are driven into the block they compress the wood in the block
and expand the tuning pin hole somewhat over the length of the tuning pin.
That creates a slight shelf at the bottom of the tuning pin where the
diameter of the hole is somewhat less not having been compressed by the pin.
When restringing over an old block with oversized pins you can sometimes
have problems with rendering if the new pin encounters this shelf.  The new
oversized pin will bind at the bottom of the hole and the result can be
snapping pins.  I've seen this when someone with all good intention used a
new oversized tuning pin that was longer than the original, say 2 1/2"
rather than 2 3/8".  That extra 1/8" of oversized pin (say 3/0 or 4/0 pin)
is now trying to force itself into the original hole drilled for a 2/0 pin.
In the case of epoxy sizing with the original sized pin a similar thing can
happen if a longer pin is used or if the pins that are replaced are driven
deeper in to the block.

My suggestion would be to try the following, disengage the coils from one of
the pins and back it out 2-3 turns, reengage the coils and bring it up to
pitch and if the snapping still occurs.  It may well put the coils too high
off the plate but back them out far enough to be sure to disengage the
bottom of the pin from that shelf. If that does solve the problem (and there
may be other issues I suppose) then you will have to decide if you can back
out all the pins adequately and still leave them low enough in proximity to
the plate to allow for reasonable tuning characteristics.

In general, the following guidelines should be used when restringing using
old blocks.  Don't use pins longer than the originals.  Probably better is
to use shorter pins than the original if going to oversized pins.  If using
oversized pins ream or pass a drill bit through the original holes that is
the correct size for the new oversized pin to remove that small shelf and
prevent the bottom of the pin from binding.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com