[pianotech] Soundboard decals

Nbss2piano at aol.com Nbss2piano at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 08:55:36 MDT 2011

The procedure I have used in the past, like everyone a long time ago, is
somewhat different than the posts.  Varnish, spar is ok, is spread with a
good quality brush or foam brush over the entire decal.  A nice light coat  is
better than heavy.  Do make sure to cover all areas of the decal.   Allow
the varnish to slightly tack, as Ed mentioned barely sticks to your nose,
then carefully place the decal in position.  Tape down the corners so it
cannot move.  Press from the center of the decal outwards to remove any air
bubbles.  I then use very cold water and sprinkle it over the  backing.  When
the backing is saturated then very carefully peel it away  from the decal.
Apply more cold water,  the cold water causes the  varnish to set quicker,
and use the thin protective material that came on the  decal to gently swab
and mop the decal surface.  Start with working  from center out to make sure
there are no air bubbles.  Now add  some mineral spirits or paint thinner,
the ratio of thinner to water would  be about 20% thinner-80%water, on the
decal surface,  there will still  be cold water on the decal, and using that
same backing gently swab the  water/mineral spirits around especially near the
edges of the decal.  The  mineral spirits will remove the excess varnish.
Probably spend 2 - 5  minutes with water/mineral spirits then remove
remaining liquid with soft  cloth.  Allow decal to dry overnight if possible then
mist spray over decal  with clear shellac.  The shellac provides a barrier
for top coats and  really helps prevent the edges from curling.
That's how I used to do it 30 years ago.

David Betts

In a message dated 10/27/2011 11:02:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,