[pianotech] written appraisal

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Oct 25 10:09:10 MDT 2011

Hi Gary,

When I'm asked to do this, I will do the following;

Give an overall summary of the current condition of the piano, both inside
and out, Note work that has been done to it, work that will be needed in
the near future as well as other work sure to come farther out.'  I do
this for many reasons, whether the customer understands piano-lingo or
not. They may know someone who does, or the purchasing customer may have
his/her own technician that might review my opinion.  Also, as in real
estate appraisals, a few photos are always nice to have attached.  I don't
go as far as finding comparable recent sales in the area like real estate.
I also don't charge $700 or more either!!

I then give them 3 $figures;  One; what the piano may sell for by a
private owner: 2; what the piano may sell for in a piano store: 3; what a
new piano of the same quality (brand wise) and size would be.

Also, I include a disclaimer that the figures given are strictly my
professional opinion and I can not guarantee any actual monitary value
that the piano actually sells for in the real market.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best,
Paul