[pianotech] written appraisal

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Tue Oct 25 09:11:23 MDT 2011

Wow.  Big topic.

First, why do they want the appraisal?  Insurance?  prospective buyer?
prospective seller?  If insurance, is it replacement value or fair
market value?  For each purpose there is most likely a different value
or range of values.

Second, what method(s) have you used to determine the value?
Depreciation schedule?  Value if fully restored minus cost of
restoration?  Local market research of comparable pianos?  Your document
should explain each method that you used, and it's often OK to use more
than one method and arrive at more than one value, depending on the
reason for the appraisal.

Third, plenty of caveats and disclaimers, including but not limited to:
this appraisal does not constitute an offer to buy or sell, market
prices fluctuate over time and space, and in the end the piano is only
worth what a willing buyer will pay for it and there aren't as many
willing buyers as there used to be.

That should give you an outline, and I'm sure others will chime in with
additional considerations.

good luck.

Mike