[pianotech] Universal String

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Mon Oct 24 21:30:37 MDT 2011

Hi guys,

I have a client who recently told me that a bass string that broke 13 years ago on her Kawai CE-7 does not hold a tune as long as the others strings (it is a bi-chord).  My guess is that someone replaced it with a universal and, hence, the tone is not matching, causing the "out of tuneness".

I vaguely remember hearing one time how to tell the difference between a universal string and a duplicated one.  I think it had something to do with the core wire.  The universal being hexagonal?

Can someone please tell me how to tell?  If this issue is the case, I want to make sure I remove the right one!

Thanks in advance!

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578