[pianotech] Replacing strings and coil lifters

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Oct 24 17:11:45 MDT 2011

Kent's is good, but here's the cheap!  Some 14 guage wire with a small
hook in the place where you need it.  Other end through a small piece of
dowel or something with a tuner's knot or whatever to give you some
lifting leverage.  Off you go.  It's crude, but free.  BTW...I bought the
coil lifter after 15 years of doing this! LOL. Looks nicer in your tool
kit.

It doesn't take a lot of lift to raise up the coils. If too tight, lower
tension, lift coils and tighten...then tune.  There ya go!

Paul