[pianotech] Acetone vs Lacquer Thinner

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 14 14:34:45 MDT 2011

Ed asked: 'Ok, somebody has some experience with this idea, 'cause I know
it has occurred to me in the past, but I didn't try it.
I may have to juice some hammers, tomorrow. It is a three hour drive from
here, so I can't be around when the normal mix hardens. Has anybody gotten
decent results with using acetone to thin the lacquer instead of lacquer
thinner? Would it dry in a 5 or 6 hour span if the hammers got a healthy
dose?
Just wondering..... "

Ed,
The initial 'set' will be quicker, but the over-all hardening will be the
same. Yes, it will give you a peek at the end results, somewhat quicker,
but, be aware, lacquer, by it's basic make-up/nature, is in a constant
state of hardening. That is why a lacqered hammer requires attention
constantly. (my objection to them!<G>) That's been my experience anyway.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police