[pianotech] cat urine/tubby bass strings

Jim Henson a1propianos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:02:02 MDT 2011

A cust. has a Steinway M that his cat urinated in the bass area of
soundboard approx. 20 yrs. ago. He is a good musician. He said piano sounded
great before fluffy decided to hose it down. He had a tech. replace strings
of entire bass section however hasn't sounded well since. I relocated the
stringing/braiding cloth of the non-speaking section of bi-chords & they
sound fine now. I have not let the tension down on the unichords yet not
wanting to rush into this. A thought would be he may have wrapped the
strings too many x's @ the hitchpins. The board has plenty of resonance & no
visable damage to inside/outside that I can see by inspection. The urine was
on the board 2 wks. I have lightly tapped strings @ bridgepins. I feel piano
is to new for loose bridgepins. Strings are tubby & dead. Any input would be
appreciated.