[pianotech] Water damaged piano

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Oct 11 17:07:53 MDT 2011

Start by insisting that the piano be up on its feet. But, before it goes up
inspect the bottom of the piano; check the soundboard to rim joint, make
sure the ribs are solidly glued. Usually you will be able to see a
"waterline" which will tell you how high the water has been. (Assuming it
was in a flood-type situation.) Determine how old the piano is. Is it old
enough to worry about animal hide glue joints? If it is a more modern
piano-one using a thermal-setting water-proof adhesive-you probably won't
have structural problems. Pull the action and examine the action parts. Even
if you don't see evidence of direct water damage make sure the centers are
free (not rusted stiff) and not loose. Listen to the piano-assuming it is
playable-how are the hammers? Check the pinblock to make sure there is no
delaminating going on. Tune through the bass (the piano was on its side,
right?) and see how the pins feel. How do the metal parts look? How much
rust can you see? How are the dampers? The damper levers? The damper guide
rail?

After you've given your initial inspection, explain that before you are
willing to put anything about the pianos condition in writing you'll want to
check the piano again after it has been dry for a couple of months-when I
check a piano that has actually been in a flood I want it to be dried out
for about four to six months before I render any final decision on
salvageability and the costs involved. It doesn't sound like this has
actually been in a flood but you don't yet know how high the water might
have gone. I've found decently built old pianos falling apart after a flood
that came only six inches up on the walls and I've found other pianos that
were literally floating in four or five feet of water that cleaned up
reasonably well with only hammers and dampers and a few assorted bits and
pieces.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com