[pianotech] Water damaged piano

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Tue Oct 11 14:01:37 MDT 2011

Greetings,

I received a call this morning from a flood and water damage company.  Apparently, someone has, what the owner of the flood company called, a very expensive piano in storage.  There was a leak in the roof of the storage facility and water rained down on the piano and it apparently sat in this mess for a while before it was discovered. He wants me to call him tomorrow morning to go over the details. I don't know any specifics yet; type of piano, manufacturer, age, etc. He seemed to think there was water inside the action of the piano, too. He couldn't talk today as he was busy.

My questions are based on having never done this type of evaluation before.  What are the things I need to look for?  Thoughts that come to my mind are repairing any case damage, replacing all felt components internally, possibly new hammers, letting everything dry out and reevaluating the keyframe, rails, etc.  Maybe restringing or new pins? New pin block?  Soundboard? Mold prevention? I'm not quite sure, so please let me know any ideas you may have for the items I should look at and evaluate.

All thoughts are welcome... I appreciate the help.

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com