[pianotech] other piano concerns questions

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 3 07:00:56 MDT 2011

Marshall,

If you use this screwdriver method (which I don't recommend), you will also be easing the bushings on the adjacent keys.

It is possible, by holding the front end of the tight key, to press it first down, then sideways, and rub it carefully against the pin, easing the bushing a little bit. It is also possible to lift the key and brush a bit of prolube on the pin. How long it will stay eased is another matter.

Meanwhile, Marshall, you are coming to a diagnosis based on a phone call.

A few years ago you had the Randy Potter course. He has a section on basic action problem diagnosis, which teaches you how to systematically diagnose an action problem. Understanding this is crucial to being a good technician. Knowing a bunch of clever solutions won't make you competent. If you are a good diagnostician, you will easily discover good solutions, and you will be treating the real problem. Reading this section of the Potter book now would probably help you.

A few years ago I saw a piano in which a self-proclaimed professional technician had furiously eased the keys to no avail. The problem had been sluggish hammer flange centers, but he hadn't noticed.

Ed Sutton