[pianotech] Tight plastic flanges

Byeway222 at aol.com Byeway222 at aol.com
Sat Nov 26 16:25:55 MST 2011

Hi David,
I have come across this a lot over the years.  These East German  'Pianic'
actions suffer a lot with this problem.  Zimmermann,  Niendorf  etc. being
typical names.  I have replaced all the hammer  flanges with a Renner wood
equivalent on 3 pianos over the  years.   It was explained to me a long time
ago that the type of  synthetic adhesive used to glue the cloth to the
plastic flange has  seeped through the cloth and become sticky.  This is why
Protec is only  partly the answer.  For the n'th time I recently re-centered some
 hammer flanges on a Niendorf  which I have been visiting for the past  20
years.   The lever flanges presumably don't show up as much because  they
have more return weight on their side.  The jacks are plastic, but in  a
wooden flange?

Richard