[pianotech] tied bass strings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 09:41:46 MST 2011

Wim said: "Here are two pictures of a tied bass string at the hitch pin.
The string was waaaay low, so I tried to pull it up, but the winding at the
top was going over the bearing pin. I looked at the hitch pin to see what
the problem was, and saw this. Someone went to a lot of trouble to tie this
thing. I don't know if it was done by a technician, or if this was a home
made job, The customer bought the piano several years ago, and had never
had anything do to it.

There was actually another string that I replaced with the same kind of tie
at the hitch pin. It's a 45 year old Wurly which had three other broken
bass string, and I didn't have the time, or the willingness, to replace
another one. "

Wim,
Boy that guy really makes the rounds! I've seen that exact ineptitude here
in the Portland Area! Sheesh!
 My fix: replace it. On a Wurly, I don't think there would be a "voicing"
issue if there were a few "new" strings in the mix.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I