[pianotech] How long does a finish need to cure before moving

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 5 14:24:53 MDT 2011

David -

As usual, Ron has covered all the bases very thoroughly.  There are SO many
factors that can yield a 'soft belly', but assuming fairly sensible application
techniques, along with appropriate materials and spray schedules, I have long
considered the 30 day rule pretty safe.  Absent the previously mentioned
assumptions, though, all bets are off.  I don't disagree at all with Al's 21 day
figure, but with lacquer there are enough variables to make blanket estimated
cure times virtually useless, esp. here in the midwest where I reside.  Arizona,
for example, would be vastly different than Ohio, I'm sure!  Bottom line, every
situation is unique, with the finisher being the only one with access to
legitimate info.

As in most things, common sense rules the day....

Mark Potter