[pianotech] How long does a finish need to cure before moving

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 5 13:38:19 MDT 2011

On 11/5/2011 2:18 PM, David Love wrote:
> Sorry, off topic again, technical piano question not to do with signing in
> or paying bills on line.
>
> How long generally does a lacquer finish need to cure before it's safe to
> lay the piano on its side to move it without it showing a blanket imprint.

I intensely dislike refinishing, but have done enough (too much) for
some general thoughts.

It depends on the primer, finish, the rate of application, and the
climate in which it was done and is curing out. Thicker finishes take
longer. Too little time between coats and too high a build rate takes
longer. Soft primer takes longer. A good polyester primer, not overly
heavily applied and mostly sanded away, with thin subsequent topcoats
allowing more time between coats than you'd like - days (warmer is
quicker), produces the most durable finish in the shortest time that
I've seen. There are vastly more experienced refinishers on the list
that can hopefully correct me if that's contrary to their experience.
Ron N