[pianotech] Tone Building

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 30 07:53:11 MDT 2011

At 21:20 +0930 30/05/2011, you wrote:

>Have a customer with a 7'4" grand that is fairly new and though tone
>is OK the sustain is good and the volume is good, can't overdrive
>the bass my customer asked me to give the piano a  cleaner sound.
>Rich in colour but maybe with less initial clutter.

As Will says, you first need to analyse the strings, which I can do
for you for nothing if you write me off list to find out what I need.
If you approach the problem starting with the hammers, you are
working blind and, by treating the hammers to try and get power and
clarity you may end up with something worse than you started with.
Once you have a well-designed and well-made set of strings on the
thing you can consider what to do with the hammers.  When I had the
showroom and sold new Yamaha and Kawai grands, the first thing I did
when they were delivered was throw out the bass strings and make new
for them.  I would have done the same if I'd been a Steinway dealer.

JD