[pianotech] Shank questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue May 24 13:27:13 MDT 2011

At 11:36 -0400 24/05/2011, Alan Eder wrote:

>>I this case, I don't think they were looking for the stiffest
>>results. In fact there are different wall thickness to achieve the
>>desired stiffness from bass to treble.
>
>Yes, it seems that greater-than-hardwood stiffness was going to be a
>given, by virtue of the nature of the material.  Would even stiffer
>than that be even "better"?  In the sense of less energy lost, the
>manifest difference may only be incremental.

My reading of the WNG literature and also a conversation I had with
Bruce Clark, so far as I recall, talks of a stiffness equal to the
best of wooden shanks rather than anything much stiffer.  Uniformity
is certainly to be desired especially as the last set of upright
maple shanks I had from a big American supplier were not at all
reliable.  As to grand shanks, here also you can't rely on the grain
being anywhere near parallel to the line of the shank, especially
from one German supplier.

I can't use the WNG shanks on the Brinsmead because it hasn't got the
Erard-Herz action -- alI would need is plain shanks.  In fact,
because of the rarity of the instrument I would hesitate to fit
carbon fibre shanks and rather stiffen the existing shanks in the way
I described if I feel it makes an improvement.  The shanks themselves
are of excellent quality.

As to the oval cross-section treble shanks that are now all the rage,
I first recall seeing these on a Blüthner grand from the '30s.
Blüthner always had trouble with the high treble.  I don't know by
how much they are stiffer, though it can be calculated, but there are
plenty of pianos that have a very good high treble without the use of
the oval shanks.  If their superiority is so certain, why, after 80
years, doesn't everybody fit them?

JD