[pianotech] Shank questions

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Tue May 24 09:36:12 MDT 2011

Well I have seen them and think they are interesting, but the process by which they are made, 'pultrusion', is not the process that achieves the stiffest result.

I this case, I don't think they were looking for the stiffest results. In fact there are different wall thickness to achieve the desired stiffness from bass to treble.
Yes, it seems that greater-than-hardwood stiffness was going to be a given, by virtue of the nature of the material.  Would even stiffer than that be even "better"?  In the sense of less energy lost, the manifest difference may only be incremental.

Alan Eder