[pianotech] Experiences of Temperature on Tuning Stability Inquiry...

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Mon May 9 10:41:31 MDT 2011

Zach, I have three incidences for you.  I'll give you only one now and the rest later.

I was to tune a room in a church complex.  One that I had tuned for the past ten years, and it was always solid at 440.  It was a cold winter day.  I think the temperature barely got to 50 degrees that day.

I found the room heated to 85 degrees, and the pitch had dropped to about 435, and all scroogied up. They told me that the furnace was broken and was waiting for the repairman, due in a couple of days.  I declined to tune it, waiting for developments.  I returned a few months later and found it right at 440.
This may not fit your "temperature only" request because the high heat heating that colder air would have lowered the humidity, too.

   ---Tom Gorley