[pianotech] [PTG Pianotech]: RE:New Forum

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 19:30:27 MDT 2011

Too bad the discussion is degenerating.  I guess the new list is not immune
either.

I hope the criticisms and concerns about the new list "can" be addressed.
Clearly there are some who seem to find it workable in spite of its quirks,
malfunctions and annoyances.  There seem to be fewer who are staunch
advocates.  Still the larger number of voices are finding it irritating
enough to not be using it at all and that's unfortunate.  Participation is
down on both lists overall and therefore so is the ongoing sharing of
information.  It seems unlikely that the reason is other than the problems
with the interface, learning curve, slowness and bugs and a general dilution
of the participants between the two lists.

Considering the two topics that are dominating the current conversation both
boil down to the dwindling support by the PTG for the sharing of information
(the primary function in my view), then I think we've lost sight of purpose
and are on the wrong track.  With respect to the support for those who
volunteer their time and expertise to teach at conventions, I don't think I
can add anything to what Del expressed so eloquently.  With respect to the
new web format, considering that a large part of the ongoing dialogue even
at this late date is still focused on problems, annoyances and whether or
not to get rid of it, I think it's time to take stock and reconsider the
march of folly.  Poor decisions are rarely made right by a greater
commitment to them.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com