[pianotech] New Forum

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 10:59:00 MDT 2011

Alan and lists,

All of us know that making these kinds of software purchase decisions are
complicated and difficult.  None of us "outsiders" know enough about the
entire package to judge it - all we are judging is the e-mail list and forum
software.  To put it in the modern vernacular, this sucks.

PTG needs to move forward to something better.  It can't be done in a week
or a month.  But we need to stop spending time and money on software that
the users do not want to use.  Because all of the volunteer time and
organization money will end up for naught - it will not be used.

I feel very strongly that PTG should choose better software very soon, and
let we who remain on the e-mail lists know that PTG is working to implement
something better in the near future.  Work with the knowledgeable people in
our organization to make it right, make it enjoyable, and restore PTG as the
central place for people to go on the internet for piano technology.

The alternative is that all the work will be done to patch together the
existing software, but very few people will use it.

I have exerpted some of Alan's message below, and inserted some comments.
Since this has to be a plain text message I can't easily highlight different
writers' text, so I will take the time to do it with '>' marks.

basis and explaining the issues. When we held a class on the new system at
>WestPac we only had three people in attendance. When we met with a much
larger number at MARC we had some wonderful discussions about
> what can be accomplished and what still needs work. I have to admit, that
as s volunteer too, there is only so much time in the day that is available
> and I still feel that everyone interested in the operations of PTG should
participate. The various forums exist for participation, Council exists
> for participation, our old lists were created for participation (and I
still applaud Jack Reeves for his early vision), our website exists for
participation.

We don't want to be sold on it, Alan.  We want it to work well.  That is all
that is needed.

> An interesting item that I have discovered, and that Mr. Berry alluded to,
is that there are many people who have never taken advantage
> of the member section of the old or the new website.

Not germane to this discussion, but really - could it be that the member's
area doesn't actually provide things that people want?  Sometimes we get so
excited about things because they seem neato - but if they are not useful to
us, it doesn't matter.

>Our archives and how they can be searched - the dedicated search function
for our archives make finding the old post much easier

Since it does not work yet on all forums, this does not help in this
discussion.  But almost ALL new software has much better search functions,
so pretty much anything we would move to would do this.  Improving search of
old messages while making the software klutzy and cutting participation is
not a positive step.  Only the old messages from the previous e-mail lists
will be there to search.

>There have been a number of visionaries in our organization. Ron Berry,
Jack Reeves, Andy Rudoff, Kent Swafford, Phil Bondi, Dale Probst,
> and far too many more to mention. The list above hardly contains a new
idea; it's what has developed over the years.

I wonder how many of THESE people really looked over the new software and
gave their approval?

>20/20 hindsight is easy. It's ironic to me that so many people feel they
would have seen any issues before they ever arose.

Bad functionality was pretty obvious right from the start with this new
software.  The complaints started right away, but most of us tried to be
patient in the hopes that it would be reconfigured to do what we need and
stop getting in the way.  Some things improved, but generally people just
don't want to mess with it anymore, so participation has lagged.  It seems
to me (and has been mentioned by others) that perhaps the usability of the
discussion groups was not considered an important factor in the software
purchase decision. Your lengthy post about the other advantages of the new
software package serves to confirm that most emphatically.

All of us are understanding, I think, that mistakes can be made.  I sure
make my share of poor decisions.  But the difference comes when we then
decide what to do to resolve the problem we created.  Do we try to convince
others that everything will be OK?  Learn to work with the shortcomings?  Or
do we take action to resolve the complaints and move forward to a solution
that works?

Those who are being critical on this list are doing so to vent their
frustration and annoyance.  A positive response with a move towards a real
solution would be a good thing.  Saying "this is great software, it's what
we are sticking with" will only discourage those who are participating.  So
they (we) will conclude that it's not worth it and stop participating
altogether.

Don Mannino