[pianotech] teaching money,(was Irritated )

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Jun 30 17:01:04 MDT 2011

Hi Mark,

I am deeply concerned about the absence of some of our finest independent instructors at this year's national convention.

 I would also rather pay higher dues    and/or registration than to see the quality of instruction diminish,    but I'm also sensitive to the needs of beginning technicians who may    truly have trouble affording the cost of attending.
I recently heard that someone (named Carl Lieberman?) calculated that with a modest increase in dues (was it $50? or $10? Carl?), convention registration could be free to all comers.  Sure, everyone would still have to get themselves there and pay for a room (hey, you have to eat whether you are at home or on the road), but this would enormously increase the incentive to attend conventions ('cause it's already paid for--take it, or leave it).  This approach, coupled with the kind of respect, both verbal and monetary, exemplified by some of our better one-day seminars and regional conventions, could enable the nationals to not only return to their former glory, but to surpass it by showing that we truly value excellence in instruction and seek to promote our own professionalism.

I appreciate your involvement in this issue and thank you for taking the time to hear me out.

Alan Eder