[pianotech] [ptech:44] RE: New Forum

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 11:58:38 MDT 2011

At 10:15 -0700 30/06/2011, Don Mannino wrote:

>Like I said to Duaine, this is a nice gesture - but is not really a
>good option until we really decide to just abandon the PTG as a
>central information source for piano technology.
>
>Also, some of us really do not want to sign up for a gmail account.

Don, I'm pretty sure you don't need to sign up for a gmail account
and most of the members don't have a gmail address.  Anybody can join
a Google group and it is not necessary, I think, to create a profile.
You just use it as a mailing list, and that, in my opinion, is the
best way to use it rather than use the web interface. I belong to
several mailing lists that are Google-groups based and never go to
the group's website.  On the other hand people who do want to create
a profile and show their face and tell people a bit about themselves
are free to do so.

My purpose in setting up the list/group was to provide an independent
pianotech list in view of the threatened or promised demise of
pianotech at ptg.org.  I have seen no improvement in the new PTG
arrangements and am impressed in a very negative sense with the
attitude of the people who have wrought this havoc at a cost to the
members that beggars belief.  What transpires from all this is that
the "central information source for piano technology" is very far
from being the  PTG as we have seen it recently unmasked, but rather
the experienced technicians who have contributed for many years to
the discussions on the mailing list.  Where that mailing list is and
who hosts it is of no consequence at all, and I might add that
members of pianotech at googlegroups.com can rest assured that it will
not lighten their pocket by one cent.

When I sent out the invitations the group had 18 members, static
since March. When I began writing this it had 37 members.  I have
just looked again and we have 47 members and rising -- to all of whom
a warm welcome.

JD