[pianotech] Capo Bar

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Wed Jun 29 23:24:44 MDT 2011

From Tony Caught, Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:39 AM
> How do you harden the capo bar in a grand piano.
>
> Have a Yamaha CF that is buzzing wildly in the upper treble. I am going to release the tension on the strings in the upper section then seesaw some emery paper over the grooves to get the bar smooth but this bar is IMO to soft. Can this be chemically treated to harden it or how should it be done.
>

> Tony

Hi Tony,

I have never hardened a capo bar, but the case hardening via of metal is a fairly well-understood phenomenon.  The Wikipedia page (case hardening) has some info to get you started.  I saved the following long Pianotech thread from Ron Overs and several others a few years ago.  I think it might be of some use to you.  My apologies for the length of this email, but I thought that the whole thread should be preserved, and I didn't want to pre-decide which parts you might find to be the most useful.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh