[pianotech] Rebushing Keys

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:38:16 MDT 2011

It looks slower than the way I do it. I use the Bushmaster with Spurlock
double-sided cauls. I do things several at a time. I.e., put hide glue on
several mortises, say 4-6. Then put the strip of cloth over those mortises,
work the Bushmaster tool one at a time, then insert a caul. Move on to the
next several. I'll come back and trim the cloth later. Wastes a good bit of
felt, but it's quick.

I wouldn't put glue directly on the cloth. First, why...when it's as easy
and faster to apply it in the mortise with a small brush? And second,
wouldn't it tend to increase the likelihood of glue lines forming at the cut
ends, causing noise issues later?

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS