[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 23 15:20:39 MDT 2011

--- On Thu, 6/23/11, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:

When I took pressure off the board by letting down the tension and saw an increase in bearing (soundboard rise) and a change in the distance between the bridge and the struts (which I didn’t include below), and then crawled under to check the crown it was still not positive.

The plate drops when you let off tension.  Because the string plane is below the plate struts, the struts rise when you put tension on the strings, and drop when you release that tension.  It's like stringing/destringing a bow.  This would at least partially account for the increase in bearing, as well as the decrease in the distance between the bridge and the plate struts.

Cheers,
Bert