[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 12:26:22 MDT 2011

I think it was more that there was negative crown but once I saw there was
no positive crown with the string test I didn't pursue trying to determine
if the crown was actually negative nor by how much.  When I took pressure
off the board by letting down the tension and saw an increase in bearing
(soundboard rise) and a change in the distance between the bridge and the
struts (which I didn't include below), and then crawled under to check the
crown it was still not positive.  The board had risen but not enough to turn
negative crown into positive crown.  The board was flat to begin with.  BTW
this piano had been restrung at least once before.

Also note that the bearing measurements in some sections were more negative
after the board was loaded than they were positive to start out with.  The
bridge transmitting the load between ribs from higher settings in adjacent
areas pushed those areas lower then otherwise they could be by themselves.
Nothing earth shattering there, just an observation.   But it is a reminder
that both when you design the rib array or set bearing on an existing board
you want try and insure that the load on the ribs distributed equally.  You
don't one are a set of ribs doing more work than another.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com