[pianotech] Customer dilemma

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 13:59:13 MDT 2011

When I give my customer a receipt, I always mark it "paid" when they pay me. If it is cash I also write the word "cash". When I make a deposit, I always keep a log of the check information.

Checking on one customer's records a few weeks ago I noticed that my deposit record did NOT show a check from them, even though my copy of their receipt was marked "paid". (No indication of cash.) I called the lady and left a recorded message asking if she would let me know if the check cleared her bank, explaining that I could have misplaced it.

After a week or so, when I didn't hear from her, I left another message, very politely, explaining that I might have misplaced the check, and to let me know if it had cleared her bank. No response.

Then I stopped by the house when I was in the area and spoke to the husband, who said he thought it was his wife's checking account, and that he would check with her later and let me know. I left my card with him. No response. (He had assisted me in moving the piano to another room before I tuned it that day, so he was aware that I had been there and did the work.)

The bill was under $200, but I could use the money. I have searched all over my desk area in case I might have misplaced it, but nothing.

What would you do in a case like this? Keep leaving phone messages? Or, is there some other way I could get the information I need. I don't know what their bank is.

A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
5020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://aftune.angelfire.com