[pianotech] business license?

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Sat Jun 4 05:55:58 MDT 2011

On 6/3/2011 9:57 PM, William Monroe wrote:
SNIP
>   I'd be interested to know if Sole Proprieters have the option of
> acquiring a state TIN (EIN) vs. having a business license under which
> they then file sales and income taxes for the state.  As I wrote
> before, anyone can purchase a business license if they WANT to, but,
> at least for an S-Corp, it is not required - perhaps because it IS
> required to have Federal and State TIN's
>
> William R. Monroe

William,

I'm a sole proprietor in Wis.  The piece of paper I'm required to keep
current is called a Seller's Permit.  It costs $10 for 2 years,
renewable forever.  When I applied for it, way back in the beginning of
time, the state assigned me a Seller's Permit Number, which is my
identification number for filing my state _sales_ tax returns.  It is
separate from my federal EIN, which identifies me for filing of both
state and federal _income_ tax returns.

Mike