[pianotech] business license?

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Fri Jun 3 15:26:27 MDT 2011

Gary,
A number of years ago there was a piano retail company located inside one of
our mega malls. I was asked to perform several floor tunings but couldn't
get the owner to pay my bill. I inquired with the local city license
department to find out the name of the owner. This retail company had no
city or state license. I called the state agency to inform them of the
situation and within a day or two the state seized his assets and shut him
down. The incident created some local press and we never heard from him
again. The mall operators had egg on their face when they discovered that
they didn't check up on the legitimacy of their retailers. I consider any
businessperson without a business license a fly-by-night entity. A license
is a means to contribute to society via paying business and occupation taxes
like the rest of us. I can't imagine any state in the union where a business
license isn't required by some level of government entity. You have an
unfair advantage if you don't have a license.
Roger Gable