[pianotech] This week's quiz, was "What Wood is that?"

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Feb 3 18:46:32 MST 2011

> From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
> Date: February 3, 2011 6:37:17 PM EST
>
> Jurgen,
> That is partially true. They did use it that way, but not very often, because it was an expensive/difficult to get wood. The clue there is Pear Wood's a very stable wood. Hence it's most often use.<G> ???? BTW, what a lot think is Pear Wood, could be any other Fruit Wood or even something like Boxwood. They all look similar.<G>
> Joe

OK, Joe, I'll go with the upper bearing (for uprights with open faced pinblocks and wooden upper bearings).  I've seen some that are very fine-grained but don't look like maple (another common choice).

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh

P.S. -  before you said uprights, I was going to go with the grand damper guide rail....