[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:58:35 MDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Bill Fritz <pianofritz50 at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi John, yes, the RPT did in fact perform this work.  I'll be happy to go
> in to specifics if you'd like, but the customer confirmed it.

I wouldn't necessarily accept this. Customers think a piano was "completely
reworked" when things like hammer filing and regulation is done. No
specifics necessary regarding your particular case. I'll accept the photos
as an example of inferior work. If it was indeed done by an RPT, it's a
matter for your chapter first, then the home office after that. It can be
dealt with, and should be, in my opinion.

> I'm not suggesting that the PTG micro-manage RPT's...

Well, you were suggesting that PTG didn't care about standards because of
this one guy's work. How would PTG ever come to know about this RPT's work
unless they were constantly monitoring every service performed? That's
micro-managing. :)

> However, I do not believe that making RPT's "re-qualify" on a 10 year basis
> is micro-managing.  It is merely trying to maintain/improve the quality of
> the "label".  The RPT tests have been "improved" over the years, right?

I'm open to recertification and further improvements. However, even that
would not prevent poor work from happening. Any of us could get lazy, then
get refocused before exam time.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS