[pianotech] Action Cradle Legs Loose

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 12:24:03 MDT 2011

Paul said: "Funny this question came in today... last evening I submitted a
contribution
to TT&T about action cradles.

The action cradle I use the most is an older style which has compression
connector fittings. The fittings screw into the clamp block, and the conduit
legs are held in quite securely by the compression fitting. I just leave
mine in all the time. I would imagine you could tap out the current hole for
the 1/2" conduit or not, in order to retrofit compression connectors. If
not, you could either drive a 1/2" dowel into the leg to prevent the set
screw from being able to flatten the conduit, and/or drill a little dimple
into the conduit for the set screw to settle into.

I also put a washer on the stud between the wingnut and the clamping
block... makes it much much easier to tighten it down securely without
pliers."

Paul, et al
As long as we're making improvements...Another would be to glue, (pvce) a
strip of action cloth in the "half round" that the pivot tube rests on.
You will be able to tighten it tighter, (so it won't move when you're
working on the action), and it will pivot smoother, when you back off the
"set screw/bolt/wing nut. The real problem is Aluminum against steel. I
suspect the originals were all steel.<G>  Another thing with the most
recent version from Schaff, the "U" walls are way too thick for Spinets,
etc., so I ground down the outer, inside part of the "U" so that the wall
is thinner, making it possible to fit between the first and last wippens
and the action bracket. Of course with this, YMMV.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I