[pianotech] Restringing at Lower Tension

William Ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Thu Aug 18 10:19:26 MDT 2011

Thanks to all who replied yesterday. The project sounds quite
promising, and once again confirms as sound, the instincts of my client.

On Aug 17, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> If you do not wish to do the actual rescaling work you might consider
> working with a technician already experienced in the process. Your
> client's
> desires are not all that unusual--a good share of the pianos I
> rebuild these
> days end up with string tensions that are somewhat lower than the
> originals.
> The results you client wants are not impossible to achieve. But for
> the best
> results I'd strongly recommend that you actually measure the speaking
> lengths and work up an appropriate scale based on those measurements.

I've never done any scaling (although familiar with the basic
concept), nor have I learned to use a sewing machine. So it will be
done by someone who knows how.

Del, can this job be done simply on the basis of speaking lengths
entered and formulae executed? (ie., by mail?) Or would the best job
involve judgement calls, based on

1.) the rescaler being in the same room with the piano before tear-
down, and/or
2.) the rescaler having in their experience one or more Stwy AI
rescales?

This is the second 100+ year Stwy A I've dealt with for my client, in
which the board had crown even (no trough under the bridge), front and
back bearing at the bridge was fine, and the piano had nice sustain
throughout (no weak octaves) even listening through 100yo materials.
The first, a 1906 AII which I restrung with a pinblock, came out very
strong, even when retaining the original hammers. In fact the initial
sound of the fresh wire and original hammers was VERY bright. This
maybe the reason he want to lower tension on the AI.

> Don't worry about turning the A1 into a square; they are apples and
> pomegranates. The A1 is capable of a smooth and balanced timbre that
> even
> the best square could only dream about.

My sense of humor expressing nervousness about the idea. If he asked
to turn the piano into a square grand, the first thing I'd do is to
separate the board from the belly rail and let it flap in the breeze.

> You're right about the hammers. They will need to be relatively
> light to
> avoid overpowering the scale. You'll also want something without a
> lot of
> density.

David Love (among others) has made this point over the years. I was
mainly interested in what the high action ratio would offer (greater
magnification of the velocity range a pianist can apply at the front
end).

Hmmmm… light and big (lots of air space between fibers). Like an Isaac
(though he no longer appears in the Directory)? Density can be
adjusted during the voicing, and there are plenty of light hammer sets
around. (Among them, I'd  choose an Abel.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps at vermontel.net