[pianotech] Restringing at Lower Tension

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Aug 17 13:05:22 MDT 2011

It would, in my opinion, be unwise to simply drop everything down a wire
size. The A1 scale is uneven enough that this would significantly weaken an
already marginal treble. That's not to say the piano can't be rescaled to a
lower overall tension, however. This situation illustrates both the value
and the dangers of rescaling. The value of doing it logically and with
knowledge of what, exactly, you are doing to the overall performance of the
piano and the danger of wading in there without the proper information and
knowledge and simply making changes for the sake of making changes.

I regularly drop overall tensions on pianos with predictable and desirable
results. But the process involves knowing--measuring and analyzing--the
original scaling and then making changes that are planned and appropriate.

In the case of the Steinway A1 the treble is already relatively weak so you
wouldn't want to decrease the tensions there any further. There are other
areas that have relatively higher tensions that can be safely--and usually
profitably--brought down. Also the bass can be improved quite a bit by
smoothing it out, decreasing the wire diameters considerably is areas and
dropping the tensions in some areas. But you need to do this rescaling with
understanding and thoughtfulness.

If you do not wish to do the actual rescaling work you might consider
working with a technician already experienced in the process. Your client's
desires are not all that unusual--a good share of the pianos I rebuild these
days end up with string tensions that are somewhat lower than the originals.
The results you client wants are not impossible to achieve. But for the best
results I'd strongly recommend that you actually measure the speaking
lengths and work up an appropriate scale based on those measurements.

Don't worry about turning the A1 into a square; they are apples and
pomegranates. The A1 is capable of a smooth and balanced timbre that even
the best square could only dream about.

You're right about the hammers. They will need to be relatively light to
avoid overpowering the scale. You'll also want something without a lot of
density.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com