[pianotech] Restringing at Lower Tension

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Aug 17 11:05:02 MDT 2011

Mr. Bill:

This has potential to be a sticky wicket with your customer, your long time
trusting relationship with him notwithstanding.  He will be spending many
thousands of dollars to achieve a particular result, which may or may not
disappoint him.   It's 50 -50 as I can see it.  Even though it is his choice
you can still get blamed - you should have known enough to protect me from
myself, although he won't think of it quite in those terms.  Or some people
might think it is a bad rebuilding job on your part, and how would they know
anyway?

As David points out below, there are some potential problem areas.  Here's
my suggestion:  Since the piano is to be rebuilt anyway, ask him to allow
you to restring several notes at the stepped down wire size.  The problem
areas are the best choice, say the last plain wire in the low tenor where
the tensions are falling off anyway and would be most likely to develop
tonal warts from this change, and in the upper treble area of which David
speaks.  Space 2 or 3 notes in between.

The advantage of this method is that you are only changing one thing, the
wire sizes.  No downbearing changes or any of the other vagaries that come
with pulling a plate and putting it back in.  No new hammers and the tonal
changes they bring.  The new wire will sound sweeter, but will it otherwise
be diminished in tone color by the lower tension?  He'll pay you for your
time, and it's as close to apples to apples as we can get.  If he decides to
go ahead then, the onus is fully on him and your back is covered.  If he
does not like it, you saved him thousands of dollars and disappointment, and
your relationship is preserved.

Will