[pianotech] Restringing at Lower Tension

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 08:30:56 MDT 2011

No problem in theory, though I'm not sure what it will sound like.  Some
loss of power certainly but the tone would probably by a bit warmer, more
fundamental and weaker upper partials.  That might be a problem in the
treble and a very light set of hammers at the upper end would be important
to minimize hammer/string contact time.  When I spreadsheet it the tensions
drop to the mid 140 lb range through most of the tenor and low treble.  In
the upper treble where Steinway tends to drop anyway it drops to the mid 120
lb region.  You'd have to lower the bass scaling as well which you could do
by dropping the wrap dimensions some (I tried .002 - .004" quickly and that
seemed ok) and the core dimension if necessary but a good bass scaler who
can put it all together with the rest would be helpful.    I've often
wondered about this, whether on an old and weakened soundboard dropping the
tensions won't keep things more in balance--well, it would keep things more
in balance but what the tonal result would be I'm not sure.  The problem
here might be that if the impedance characteristics of the soundboard are
too high for the lowered string scale you'll have a mismatch and the sound
will be weak.  If the board is the original one and the impedance
characteristics are lower by virtue of age and diminished crown then who
knows, might be ok.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com