[pianotech] Steinweg Piano

Wesley Hardman hardmanwesley84 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 06:26:34 MDT 2011

Tom,

Thank you so much for the information.  The Steinweg piano, according to the
atlas, was manufactured in 1907 in Germany.  The fallboard displays
"Grotian, Steinweg Nachf Braunschakig."  The owners' father was a military
person and actually bought the piano while in Germany and had it shipped to
the United States, where it has been since that time.  According to the
daughter, the father deemed it a prized possession, as it was purchased for
the mother, who never had time to play it very much.  To have been made in
1907, the action looks immaculate to me.  The bridges are beginning to
display some cracking at the pins, the soundboard is showing cracking but
not producing the distorting sound that one would expect, but the pinblock
seems to be holding up very well.  I do believe it has been restrung,
because the strings have still have