[pianotech] Steinweg Piano

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 20:07:15 MDT 2011

Wesley,

The Steinweg name is indeed well known in Germany, as the instruments -
until 2000 - were manufactured as Grotrian-Steinweg or simply Grotrian.  The
Steinweg that was associated with Grotrian was also closely related to
Theodor Steinway of New York, hence linked to the high quality associated
with the Steinway name.  Information about Grotrian can be found at
www.grotrian.de <http://www.grotrian.de/>  and in various other resources on
the web.  I couldn't find any information specifically about a Steinweg,
though.  All of the references were for Grotrian-Steinweg or simply
Grotrian.  If you could find some more information about the piano (i.e.
type, size, model, serial number, age, etc.) it might make the search for
information a lot easier.  In a nutshell, though, a Steinweg or
Grotrian-Steinweg is a very well-known and respected name in Germany and the
company has had a long and distinguished history of producing extremely high
quality and beautifully sounding instruments for almost two centuries.
Since Steinweg is the original spelling of the more commonly known piano
manufacturer, Steinway, I would assume that the family propensity for high
quality instruments would be evident in the Steinweg branch of the family
that decided to stay in Germany.

Hope this bit of information helps.  Let us know what else you come up with.

Thanks,

Tom Rhea

Rhea Piano Service

Norfolk, VA