[pianotech] square

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 17:07:30 MDT 2011

Don,
The Arlington, could be a George W. Stratton/Boston or a Columbus Piano
Co./Columbus Ohio. A lot of manufacturers didn't put anything on their
plates, as they were using "generic" plates.<G>
If the blocks come out, then I suspect that there is a "trick" to getting
the nameboard off and then getting access to  screws or ???
As for how to get the actions out of Squares....That is usually a crap
shoot! There are the types, like Steinway, that have Three (3) large
screws, that have a head like an oval tuning pin. These critters are
through the key bed and are accessed from the bottom side of the key bed
with an appropriate tuning tip on a tuning hammer. The key slip has a
dovetail to attach to the key frame screws. The slip slides up. Hint: put
your hands on the cheek blocks and use your thumbs to "lift" the key slip
upward and off. This type has a heavy wire handle in the middle to allow
you to "pull" the action w/o accidentally touching the keys and causing the
hammers to break off. USE IT ALWAYS! Second type is where the key slip
romoves like a modern Steinway Grand key slip, (as above). There are
usually three (3) screws through the front rail from the top, (just under
the keys and in diagonally),  that hold the Front rail down. This type also
has a heavy wire handle for extracting. (some times the handles are
extremely tight in the front rail. Use a screw driver and pry it out to
operating position) There are many" variations on a theme". I have seen one
type that the Name board pivots and then lifts up, giving you access to
screws behind it that are in the Balance rail. Always proceed caustiously
on these beasts! There are some where the key slip does NOT come off. Don't
force things, as many before us have! Some times Cheek Blocks come off,
Sometimes they are glued to the key frame! (Makes for fun when the finisher
wants them while you are rebuilding the action!<G> I swear that there were
many who designed piano furniture that did Chinese puzzle boxes in their
spare time!<G> Thank you for asking before plunging in with both feet!!<G>
Well, as a cartoon characture says: Rotsaruck!
Joe

P.S.
I'm posting this to pianotech for everyone else's edification.<G>