[pianotech] Hey, They're Blue!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Aug 3 14:32:16 MDT 2011

I get my Abel Naturals from Wally, and they're a magenta kind of color. Is
this something just for Naturals?    I have no clue on the blue thing.

Tell us when you find out.

Paul

From:
"Rob & Helen Goodale" <rrg at unlv.nevada.edu>
To:
<pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
08/03/2011 10:49 AM
Subject:
[pianotech] Hey, They're Blue!

I just ordered and received a set of "premium" Abel hammers from PianoTek
for a Steinway D.  I've installed many sets of Abel hammers, all of which
traditionally have pear-green inner felt.  On this set they are blue.  My
first thought was that there was some kind of mistake, they sent me Renner
instead.  Apparently not, the invoice and packing list specifically say
Abel.  So the the "premium" class is blue?  The last set of these I
bought, (or so I thought), was the green.  When did they change this?  Or
maybe I'm just loosing my mind and the last set wasn’t the "premium"
ones"?  The hall this piano lives in has terrible acoustics, I think
Mickey Mouse designed it.  The piano needs to be  very mellow to minimize
the acoustic problems.  I was told these hammers would be the best
solution.  It has been in my experience that Abel hammers require minimal
voicing right out of the box.  Every set I've installed has been a dream.
Anyone else install a set of these recently?  This will be today's
project, I'll know by the end of the day what they sound like.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV