[pianotech] Lacquer on Hammers Follow up

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 21:38:47 MDT 2011

I said I would give a report on the Hammer-Lac that I got from Pianotek once
I had a chance to use it a few times so here it is.

It's a bit weaker (lower solids content) than other lacquers I've used so it
requires a somewhat stronger application.  I've used it only on Ronsen
hammers, Bacon and Weickert Felt.  I don't use Steinway hammers so I can't
help you there but I would probably follow the Bacon protocol and get them
unlacquered from Steinway.  In this case all applications were applied from
the shoulders rather than from the side.  Lazy I guess.

I made three solutions by weight all mixed in a 4oz hypo oiler.  They are:

1.  15 grams lacquer
2.  20 grams lacquer
3.  30 grams lacquer

Fill the rest of the container with lacquer thinner--not acetone.  I used a
digital scale

For Weickert Felt hammers I use the 30 gram solution from F#5 to the top
with a two applications on the top 6-10 notes.  I didn't let the top dry
completely before the second application.  The tenor section up to note F#5
I use nothing and the sets have not needed anything.  The tenor has come out
just right on most of the sets I've used without any hardeners.  YMMV.  The
sets or pressings all need help from F#5 to the top.  Make sure the hammers
are not too heavy.  Heavy in the treble weakens the tone unlike in the rest
of the piano.  Hammer contact time is probably responsible.  Lighter hammers
in the treble without excess felt over the molding gives more volume and
clarity--keep them light up there! In the bass I used the 15 gram solution
right over the top down to the core for all the bichords and the 20 gram
solution over the top for the monochords.

For Bacon Felt hammers you'll need to use the 15 grams solution through the
tenor section and connect to the treble where the stronger solution takes
over.  Use a heavier saturation or increase the strength of the solutions
slightly for the treble, bichords and bass.  Same idea except that these
hammers are softer so you need to harden the tenor as well.  Up the ante in
the other sections appropriately.

On all applications make sure the solution gets to the core of the hammer
and, once again, keep the treble hammers light and without too much felt
over the crown.  Again, reducing hammer string contact time is crucial for
treble clarity and loudness.

The lacquer is easy to work with and needles out easily.  It doesn't seem to
develop hard spots like some other lacquers I've used.  I do use lacquer
thinner rather than acetone as it flashes off slower and probably gets
better penetration keeping things away from the crown a bit more.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com