[pianotech] Renner Flange Bushing Cloth-Not Working For Me!!

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 14:31:45 MDT 2011

Mike asks:

>>The rebushing with the Renner cloth has been a disaster, it won't stay glued!! I have a tendencey to blame myself first so I have tried, moistening then soaking the cloth both only after I prepared the hole in the flange using the proper size drill to ream the hole to remove the old glue. In all cases it failed, one side stayed in, the start side but the opposite side pops out every time. I haven't rushed it, I have allowed a minimum of overnight drying time.

     That might be heat set glue, in which case you will have to heat the pins as well as the wood.  The last time I had to rebush a bushing, I used a toothpick to put a small ring of  hot hide glue,(very thin) around the cloth right at the wood, so that when I pulled the cloth in, the glued part went in.  Even so, I found that rebushing with modern cloth requires pushing a sizing pin in to the very tight hole, and then wetting the cloth with a mix of water and alcohol, or VS profelt so that it shrink-fits around this pin while becoming denser in the hole.  Letting it dry at least overnight, and then fitting a larger pin to friction specs. If you simply ream the untreated cloth to fit a pin, it will be wobbly very quickly.

 If it helps you feel better, the Renner parts also exhibit totally unacceptable bushings, but usually in the form of  tightening up after a year or so of use.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT