[pianotech] Renner Flange Bushing Cloth-Not Working For Me!!

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:57:47 MDT 2011

I'm hoping someone has some experience, positive or negative with this
material.

I purchased the strips & the sizing tool with a specific application in
mind. A few years ago I rebuilt a straight strung(bass too) upright circa
1875, new strings, hammers, keytops, etc. The cabinet appeared to be
rosewood which the customer felt he could refinish himself however once he
had it stripped he discovered it was only partially rosewood & the rest was
an artfully applied finish that matched the rosewood. he sent it to a
refinisher he knew to have them complete the job.

I was to complete the regulation when it returned, I noticed when I started
checking it over when it returned that several, almost half of the hammers
were "wobbly' when I attempted to repin I discovered most were pinned with #
23, 24 & some 25 pins. I knew I was going to have to rebuild the flange
birdseyes( double flanges unique to the piano) & rebush the flanges. I had
heard about the Renner strips & tool & felt they would be perfect for the
job. The birdseye sizing went very well.

The rebushing with the Renner cloth has been a disaster, it won't stay
glued!! I have a tendencey to blame myself first so I have tried, moistening
then soaking the cloth both only after I prepared the hole in the flange
using the proper size drill to ream the hole to remove the old glue. In all
cases it failed, one side stayed in, the start side but the opposite side
pops out every time. I haven't rushed it, I have allowed a minimum of
overnight drying time.

Suggestions?

Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404